Back on with their heads

*Spanish Catholic officials, not heretofore known for their sensitivity and tolerance of heathens, have made a 180-degree about face, and have instructed the shrine of Santiago de Compostela to relocate a statue of the eponymous saint chopping the noggin off a Muslim.
Of course, the powers-that-be are at haste to explain that it’s been a long time coming, and has nothing to do with any train bombings or anything like that.
“This is not an opportunistic decision. This is not through fear of fanatics of any kind and nothing to do with 11 March or 11 September.” Right.
*A very funny and informative interview with Christopher (Lord) Guest in the Grauniad. A few months old but still very worth a read.
*Mark Steyn hilariously shreds Tim Robbins’ rather gauche attempt at current-events satire:
Hitherto, I’ve been reluctant to subscribe to the theory that humor is inherently conservative. I confess there are even moments of Michael Moore’s crockumentaries I’ve found myself laughing at. The film-maker has a comic’s eye for the telling detail and, even if half the telling details are phony, he at least has an eye for the kind of telling detail to make up. But much of what else purports to be left-wing wit so confirms the stereotype of the plonkingly humorless bien pensant that it can only be the work of some savage right-wing satirist. Take Al Franken and Janeane Garofalo, the two stars of the new Air America “network.” The network’s inauguration received a ton of fawning publicity from “The Today Show” and the rest of the A-list plug circuit, even though it can’t be heard in 99 percent of the country and in the remaining 1 percent of the fruited plain you can only pick it up on half-a-dozen shoestring stations where it’s displaced various ethnic programming and thereby prompted huge complaints, by members of the Asian-American community, the Caribbean-American community and others, that they’re being disenfranchised, their voices are being silenced, etc., in order to make way for rich white celebrities. If the Air America launch isn’t the plot for some forthcoming side-splitting off-Broadway satire, it ought to be.
*Colby Cosh’s site is bursting at the seams with great content. Start at the top and scroll down.

Advertisements

One comment